Tuesday, January 31, 2017

My Soccer Story: How I use my soccer career in everyday life


When I was 5 years old my life changed. The World Cup in South Korea/Japan was going on, and this was my first time watching soccer (that I can remember). What made it special was that my father would wake me up at 2 a.m. to watch USA play, because of the time difference. I still remember climbing out of bed to watch my nation play. I remember so much about that tournament - from Ronaldo’s crazy haircut, to Oliver Kahn’s superman saves. This tournament started my life on a journey towards a crazy, big dream - To be a professional soccer player.
     The next 13 years of my life was dedicated primarily to fulfilling that dream. I was blessed with supportive parents who believed in my dream, and coaches who impacted my life in ways I still can't fully fathom. The point of this article is threefold

  • How my skills in soccer translate to other ventures.
  • How my mentors/coaches significantly impacted my life.
  • How my perspective on culture shifted
My journey towards achieving my dream of professional soccer transformed my life The many dedicated hours to this sport taught me that persistence, patience, and self belief are the keys to achieving the desired outcome. If it wasn't for my coaches, I would not have grown; stagnation is a step backwards when the competition is pushing towards excellence. My soccer career is over. However, my journey towards accomplishing my dreams and aspirations is just beginning. 

This is the first post in a series on 'My Soccer Story'. I will be expanding on how soccer translates, and what I learned.